Cheese fanatics would definitely agree that cheese curds are undeniably irresistible. Even non-cheese lovers agree that this mild cheddar is deliciously addictive. One taste is enough to crave for the signature squeak. The cheesy goodness can be enjoyed either fresh or fried. Here’s a quick trivia about your favorite squeaky cheese curds.
Cheese curds are by products of cheddar. They are made of fresh, immature cheddar cheese. The solid, milky cheese curd is left behind from the whey during the cheese-making process. The flavor is milder than other cheese and come in many varieties. Though, they have the same level of thickness with cheddar.
Did you know that the cheese curds have their distinct sound when eaten? The squeaky sound comes from the rubbing of elastic protein components against the enamel of the teeth. A squeaky cheese curd means that it is still fresh. Unlike traditional blocks of cheese which are left to age, curds are made less than two days ago.
Cheese curds come in many flavors. They can be whitish, yellowish, or orangey in color. Ideally, they have to be eaten within twelve hours. Beyond that, cheese curds will begin to lose the squeaky sound. Thus, it is recommended to eat the curds the same day they are produced. They can be stored in the refrigerator for months to retain the optimal freshness and squeakiness.
Left over curds can be microwaved for a few seconds to restore the squeaking feature when eaten. The best thing about these yummy little morsels is that they can be served directly or deep-fried. Thus, squeaky cheese curds are perfect appetizers. Below are suggested ways to serve squeaky cheese:
- Battered cheese curds that are fried to a crispy golden brown are certainly addictive snacks. They are said to be traditionally adapted from Wisconsin. This way of serving is similar to serving mozzarella cheese sticks. Nowadays, this serving suggestion is becoming prevalent in the northeast and Midwest part of the U.S.
- Squeaky cheese can also be eaten with French fries topped with light brown gravy. This is popularly known as poutine, a French-Canadian delicacy.
- Melted cheese curds can also be used as a tortilla chips dip. You can just mix your desired hot sauce with plain curds and melt them. Voila! Your dipping is ready. Or you can simply enjoy these squeaky curds with crackers.
- Another way of eating cheese curd is mixing it with your favorite salad. Fresh cheese curds can be used as salad topping. This goes to show plain curds remain to be everyone’s preference.
- Cheddar cheese curds can also be added to soup. A hearty soup is perfect combination on a cold weather.
You now have everything you need to know about these appetizing goodies. The next time you nibble on cheese curds, you will definitely appreciate why they are considered one of cheese’s best kept secrets.